Gamers: Know Your Rights

2009/09/27

I Monster

What is it about us that so encourages us to want to find and destroy that which we fear or do not know? I have often watched movies in which the werewolf or vampire is sacrificed for the seeming benefit for the rest of the town – only to wonder what exactly it was they were sacrificing. Or even the anti-heroes. How can you not watch V for Vendetta and find yourself convulsing when V dies at the end – fueled with a furious anger and an all consuming righteousness.

Do christians honestly believe the devil lives in the form of a goat – cloven hoofed with slatted eyes? A concept they themselves created in their beginning by “laying all the sins” down upon the goat and sacrificing it to their then blood thirsty god. And if so why is it they cannot see what it really is – their own darkness refusing to die?

Why is it when everyone else is thrilled to see the monster die, a part of me dies as well. Do you not agree that it is the darkness as much as the light that determines who you are? And if you are content to deny a part of who you are – why then should you be trusted?

1 comment:

  1. To answer one question- as a 'christian' no I don't see the devil as a goat or what not... a bit silly since as far as the Bible goes he was basically God's right hand man til he decided to be like 'Yo G' I think I can take it from here' and was supposedly the most beautiful angel... so however you want to see the scriptures or what not, its pretty silly in my eyes to personify Lucifer as our culture tends to do- goatlike, or with horns etc- that was all stolen from other cultures and religions to try and drive new converts away from their old religions... Religious Conversion 101. As far as the darkness within, it determines partially who you are, as does the light, I think it is the struggle of which will prevail that really defines who we are as individuals. And not all "monsters" are "bad", and not all "heroes" are "good." But I do think most people fear the darkness that resides in them, mainly because they fear the outcome of that struggle if they truly put it to the test... because I think deep down inside most people know that the darkness would prevail, and they are not good people like they would like to believe. But I'm pretty sure you had some inkling of my opinion on all of this :-)

    ReplyDelete